Friday, May 3, 2013

My Civil War


I have enjoyed learning about the Civil War since I was very young. I collected many war map books and battlefield guides and it became a hobby for me. I loved going to Perryville Battlefield as a child just to read the monuments and see the cannons. When I was about 10 I began learning about my Great-grandfather Moses Berry who was in the 19th Kentucky Infantry (US) and began researching his life. I heard from stories that he was taken prisoner at Vicksburg and when he returned from the war his teeth were worn down to the gum from eating hard corn in prison camp. My later research led to finding his pension record, enlistment and muster dates, and where his unit was formed. I found out that I also had a great-uncle James R. Upthegrove that was also in the same Company K as Moses. I found three of the 19th Kentucky’s battle flags that are at the Kentucky Historical Society and have traced all of his unit’s movements. They included enlistment at Harrodsburg, KY (Nov.61), then battles at Cumberland Gap (June 62), Chickasaw Bayou (Dec. 62), Arkansas Post (Jan. 63), Port Gibson (May 63), Champion Hill (May 63), Black River Bridge (May 63), Vicksburg (May 63-July 64), where Moses and James were captured and sent to Camp Ford, Texas. The company went on to the Siege of Jackson,  and then prisoners were returned to serve at Bayou Bourbeux, Red River Campaign, Sabine Cross Roads, Pleasant Hill, Monett’s Ferry, and then mustered out at Louisville (Jan. 65). The 19th KY lost a total of 198 men. One officer and 42 enlisted men were killed or mortally wounded, three officers and 152 enlisted men died of disease. I hope to someday take a single trip that encompasses all of the 19th KY movements and document the battlefields.

            When the movie Gettysburg came out in 1993 I became obsessed with it, the book The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara, and Col. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain of the 20th Maine. This took me on a journey that led from Gettysburg, PA. to Brunswick, ME and Bowdoin College studying Chamberlain’s life. Since then I have visited battlefields and monuments at: Richmond, Camp Nelson, Camp Dick Robinson, Mill Springs, Wildcat Mtn. Cumberland Gap, Ft. Donelson, Ft. Henry, Columbus, Munfordville, West Point, Murfreesboro, Shiloh, Droop Mtn., Antietam, Chattanooga, Lookout Mtn., Missionary Ridge, Chickamauga, Baton Rouge, New Orleans, Ft. Sumter, CSS Hunley, Harper Ferry, Bull Run, and Appomattox Court House and several museums. Through my travel and study it never ceases to amaze me of the courage, wrath, and sometimes stupidity of men during the Civil War.  It is odd that two men could fight to kill each other over differing ideas, but mainly because of where they were born and the color of their skin. So many bright lives were lost to make this country better and they deserve our honor.

            This semester I have thoroughly enjoyed Dr. Weise’s lectures on Civil War and Reconstruction. I learned many facts and he brought about new perspectives about Civil War life. My favorite was the discussion of Thomas A. Scott and the Pennsylvania Railroad. This semester I also had an independent study class with Dr. Appleton about the Louisville and Nashville Railroad, railroads being another hobby of mine. I learned a great deal about John Hunt Morgan’s raids on the L&N. Thanks to both professors for their helpfulness and vast knowledge of history. This is my Civil War.
 
 

Battle Flag of 19th Kentucky


1915, Neals Creek, Lincoln County, KY. Moses is the bearded man standing next to my Great-grandmother Allie Elliott Berry. My Grandfather Richard Berry is the third from the youngest in the middle.


Sugar Loaf Cemetery, Lincoln County

Moses Death Certificate 1929
 

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this great family story. It is amazing that given his difficult life your great grandfather lived almost 100 years. Research into my family tree has shown that I have two confirmed family members that fought in the war. One for the Union and one for the Confederacy. Both fought early in the war and only stayed in the service roughly 1 year each.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great story which you share with us, thank you. After taking Dr. Weise' class I am curious about the involvement of my ancestors, I know there are a few members that were involved in the war, but as time has faded the meories of grandparents i am at a loss on where to start looking. If I may ask, would you have any recommendations for a starting spot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Death and marriage records are the easiest to find at courthouses and they can sometimes give birthdates. If the veterans recieved a pension, that sometimes can be found on army wesites. If they were in the union, tombstones many times have the regiment and company letter. Ancestry.com is one of the best websites to use for research and google will yield good results by using quotes around names. Here is a good article with links http://www.nps.gov/gett/historyculture/ancestor-search.htm

      Delete
  3. Just recently I have begun to dig deeper into the Civil War and get really interested in what really happened. I liked your blog post here tracing your family history back then. I also have had several family members, according to my grandfather, that also fought in the Civil War. My grandmother even has her family member's old rifle that he used during the war. When you think about it now, we really dont take into account the depth and destruction of the war, the lives that were lost. Its really hard to imagine it all.

    ReplyDelete