Thursday, March 21, 2013

Catherine Clinton

My interest in the American Civil War has really been piqued in the last couple years, but I am often disappointed about how the struggle is framed or how its characters are portrayed.  As a feminist scholar, I have become tired of hearing about female nurses, cross dressers, and prostitutes, all of whom were directly engaged with the military element of the war.  I in no way wish to demean the struggles these women faced, but I have constantly been left asking myself, "where are the rest of the women?"  If women made up half of the population, where are their stories?  Catherine Clinton did a wonderful job tonight sharing some of these forgotten voices.  She spoke about the real women of the Civil War era and how their lives have been overlooked, misinterpreted, undervalued, and, most frequently, forgotten all together.  Dr. Clinton presented the untold stories of women who were activists, social workers, and dietitians, and women who saw the opportunity to free themselves and seized it.  In one of my classes, which focuses on the history and politics of the world's revolutions, we had a discussion where many individuals argued that women didn't have any true or compelling role in the French Revolution!  I found myself in utter disbelief that we were having the discussion.  I asked, "what do you mean, 'were they involved?'" They were roughly half the population and had to experience the violence and terror in their country just like everyone else; though I will concede that women have rarely, if ever, had a hand in starting these devastating wars.  To be fair, we are not readily presented with the tales of these silently enduring women of history; or, rather, herstory.  This is why Catherine Clinton, as well as other scholars focusing on women's experience, are so important and inspiring.  If the Civil War should teach us anything, it is the devastating effect that social inequality can have on a nation, this nation.  And how the unjust omissions of the historical record can perpetuate these inequities for generations.

1 comment:

  1. Though I am a male, I share some of your outrage when women are overlooked throughout history. You mentioned the French Revolution...the women absolutely played a huge role in that revolution. It was women that marched to Versailles!!

    Let me first say that I am aware women have been treated wrong throughout history. With that said however, I think women were a substantial part of society, even beyond their involvement during extreme times such as the French Revolution, and the Civil War. We need look no further than Abigail Adams. Personally I find her to me one of the most intriguing figures in American history. She herself and John were not shy about stating the role of women and how they matter in the decision making of men in that time. I am sure though that you are aware of these statements made by these two, given that this is your field of study.

    ReplyDelete