Thursday, March 21, 2013

Women and the American Civil War Lecture

Catherine Clinton's lecture on Women and the American Civil War could have been made better. I think that she did an okay job at speaking about how women during the Antebellum period were overlooked.  To this day, women from that time period remain understudied and undervalued.  In my first blog on this site, I did it on Women in the Civil War, and I wrote about how women had multifaceted roles in the Civil War.  Clinton's lecture tonight only reinforced my viewpoint.  Really, I did not learn anything else that was new to me.

What I found my "thought provoking" about her lecture tonight was the stories she told about different women, and how their lifestyles during this time was challenging to their mainstream world.  Of course, I find that many of these stories hold much value and I appreciate her study of these ladies because though they may be overlooked, they do deserve our attention. Otherwise, her lecture kind of sucked, with lack of a better term.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah I wasn't a fan of her lecture. I attempted to be polite in my blog and not bash her. It was everything in my power to resist the urge to fall asleep during her talk. I probably would have if she didn't mention prostitutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could have just played with your bellybutton lint and gotten the same affect.

    ReplyDelete