Thursday, January 31, 2013

Women in the Civil War


Frances Clayton
   I chose to go the route less traveled by looking into women in the Civil War.  These women pushed the gender and racial boundaries during the antebellum and Civil War era.  Women during this time were bound to the gender conventions of the day, but throughout the war, many women were becoming more liberated by becoming soldiers in the war.  Liberation came in all forms such as through work, education, spirituality, abolitionist activities, financial independence, dress, speech, behavior, and occupation. 
Frances Clayton (disguised)

    Not only were white American women overcoming the gender conventions of the time, but the free black women were also putting forth the effort of becoming liberated as well.  In Anne Marshall’s article, she talked about free black women and how they faced the same gender conventions, economic hardships as white women, but they also confronted racism.  Not much research has been done on the free black women and their lives.  The free black women faced the double burden of being both black and female, and as Marshall argues, “defined womanhood in ways that sometimes challenged society’s expectations and beliefs about them” (214).

    Additionally, Marshall also brings up how women also fought in the battlefields, which was something that at the time women were not permitted to do.  Not only did women serve in their “gendered jobs” as self-sacrificing nurses during the war, but they were also spies, scouts, and even soldiers.  I find this following fact particularly interesting that historians have concluded that at least a thousand, possibly several thousand women served as soldiers in the Civil War (215).  While this number seems insignificant to the total number of soldiers in the war on both sides, to me, this was a significant feat considering the limited social, economic, and political opportunities that these women had at the time. Writing in 1888, Mary Livermore of the U.S. Sanitary Commission remembered that:
            Some one has stated the number of women soldiers known to the service as little less than four  hundred. I cannot vouch for the correctness of this estimate, but I am convinced that a larger number of women disguised themselves and enlisted in the service, for one cause or other, than was dreamed of. Entrenched in secrecy, and regarded as men, they were sometimes revealed as women, by accident or casualty. Some startling histories of these military women were current in the gossip of army life. (2) 

  These women violated the normal gendered boundaries in many important ways such as the way they dressed, their behaviors, their occupation, and even their speech.  Of course these women had to disguise themselves as though they were male in order not to have their secret found out.  The point that I am making is that the antebellum women, and even the freed black women were overcoming the gendered norms of their day, and sought out to liberate and change their way of life. Their actions should not be overlooked by any means.  But  I am curious as to these women’s motives at the time.  Was it to follow their lovers and husbands into battles and they felt compelled to fight?  Was there a hint of their own rebelliousness against the limited world in which they lived?  Was this their form of liberation?  I find these women interesting. 

Blanton, DeAnne. " Women Soldiers of the Civil War." National Archives. 25. no. 2  (1993).  http://www.archives.gov/publications/prologue/1993/spring/women-in- the-civil-war-1.html (accessed January 31, 2013).

Marshall, Anne. "The Essence of Liberty: Free Black Women during the Slave Era, and: Women on the Civil War Battle Front." Civil War History. 53. no. 2 (2007): 214- 215. 10.1353/cwh.2007.0038 (accessed January 31, 2013).

8 comments:

  1. Talk about the road least traveled, this post is all new material to me. I will not lie, I amone of those individuals who overlook women and other groups when I view the Civil War. I find the post well written and a good read. Who knows as to what their motives are? I would very much like to see research done by someone in the history or even Women and Gender Studies fields on this topic. If it is floating around out in cyber space or hidden in the deep and dusty shelves of some library, I would very much like to be informed on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you for the comment.

      I have thought about looking more into this issue actually. Whenever I go to do the microfilm tomorrow, after you leave for your house, I'll probably go and do that and come up with my 600 word blog for the Civil War. I'm going to do some digging and figure out if I can find anything on women in the Civil War, and in particular, if any newspaper during that time acknowledged these women soldiers. I do wonder if I can find something on motives. If I cannot find anything on this, I will more than likely just find something else of interest, but again, one of my main priorities tomorrow is to search for these ladies who are almost always overlooked.

      Furthermore, I do know that one of the Civil War lecture series is on Women in the Civil War too. I will be more than happy to also attend this, as will I be the other lectures on the war in this regard. But the ladies on where soldiers are of interest to me because we know so little about them. This will be interesting and a rewarding experience in searching for this new information.

      Delete
  2. As for free black women before the war, see an older but still cutting edge book, Free Women of Petersburg, by Suzanne Lebsock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation!! I'll check into it.

      Delete
  3. I found this post to be very thought-provoking. When learning about the Civil War, it is not often women are brought up. I, myself, had not thought much about women in the Civil War. I love the way you ended the post-with the questions about their motives. These questions came to my mind as I was reading your post. As for the answers, I do not have well-researched legit answer…but I cannot help to think it would be of some sort of combination of all of those you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sydney! I wish I was able to go back to the future in my 450 class this semester and redo my topic. I think I would've picked this topic. Women played combinations of roles in the Civil War from what I've gathered.

      Delete
  4. I thought that this post was very interesting in the fact that women had such a major role in the American Civil War but are looked over most of the time. After reading your post, I thought about how women could have been able to cross those boundaries that they were not able to cross before and I have come to the conclusion that women during that time were able to get around these boundaries because people were so involved with the war that no one really paid attention to them that much or even cared. The country at the time was obsessed with slavery and the war and women were not at the top of their concerns. Besides that fact I think that women were very important to the war at the time and you have to think what would have happened if women did not participate in the war effort.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was an interesting topic to think about as I had only read or heard of women's roles as nurses during the Civil War. As well, your ending questions as to what the motives of these daring women were provoked me to develop some of my own hypotheses. Perhaps some of these women sought adventure just as their male counterparts did. Then again, maybe they did have specific ideological motives in mind. As you mentioned, the Civil War offered women potentials for expansion in such social issues as abolition. Maybe many of these female soldiers supported the cause of abolition heartily enough to enlist and support it through warring. As well, the issue of abolition could have been connected to women's rights issues. Many female abolitionists supported equality for all human beings, race and gender aside.

    ReplyDelete